Apr 20, 2010

DIAGNOSIS - DIABETES TYPE 2




I was working on my computer editing photos when the doctor phoned me to say that my blood work was in.  Happily, the cholesterol screening showed improvement and normal numbers.  Unfortunately the glucose numbers were high and so the doctor ran a second screening called A1C which takes the average of the blood sugar levels in the body for the previous 2 to three months. My A1C reading was 8 - diabetes.


This childhood photo of me after cleaning out my mothers homemade fudge from the pan shows evidence of my early and abiding love of all things sweet.  I love this photo.  It speaks volumes to me and reminds me to treat my adorable self with great care and compassion.  The worn linoleum under my feet shows the modest background I come from.  My dirty sneakers show previous use. The clothes are hand me down and so is the pot for that matter.  It originally belonged to my grandmother -- who had acquired adult onset diabetes as well. 


I have a lot to learn about my new diagnosis.  I will be writing about it and sharing what I learn as I digest the information.  While the news is a surprise, it is not entirely unexpected.  I have diabetes in my family.  I am over 45.  I was a smoker for many years.  I did not exercise enough in my life and I always enjoyed sweet, salty, starchy foods.  I believe that over the course of my life, I have worked hard to improve my fitness and health.  When I was 33 I was diagnosed with high cholesterol. It took more than 20 years to receive a "normal" range.  But I did it.  Diabetes is not welcome here but it has made itself a home in my pancreas.  I will do my best to help this body improve - one day at a time.  


http://www.diabetesstories.com/stories_blog/

I have a wonderful group of friends who support me on this journey.  Thanks to them, I know I am not alone.  I love you guys! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The picture shows what wonderful support/friends you have. You obviously did a great job bringing your Cholesterol into normal range, and am sure that you can do the same with this.. Keep strong, keep the fight it will all pay off in the end. Hope to see you soon.

Love & God Bless.....

Karyn

Unknown said...

Dr. Nicholas E.,
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog and to comment. I appreciate your help.
Denise