Jun 5, 2010

Blood Glucose 123 - the beginning

First thing every morning, I wash my hands and test the blood glucose level to see what has happened in the night.  Being new to diabetes care, I often have more questions than answers.  After the number shows up on the face of the monitor with a beep, I write it down on my food /glucose record.  Then  I am able to determine what to have for breakfast. 
I test the blood a minimum of twice each day and have been monitoring blood glucose levels for 60 days so far.  I do so first thing in the morning, which usually records the highest numbers with rare exceptions.  Also, I take the medicine Metformin twice a day.

During this learning period, the blood glucose numbers have stayed close to or within the guidelines the diabetes educator told me to watch for. I saw the doctor yesterday for a follow-up visit and scheduled the next blood test for the A1C levels - a "gold standard" for monitoring how my diabetes management is really coming along. 

Daily exercise, monitoring levels, eating the recommended foods all play important roll in managing my Type 2.  I walk a minimum of 30 minutes more than five times a week, whether I want to or not.  I say no thank you to seconds.  I eat at home more than I eat out because it is easier that way and I weigh and measure the foods I eat.  Since I saw the doctor last (6 weeks ago)  I lost a disappointing 3 pounds.  I try not to become discouraged.  I also try not to obsess over all the numbers -- but it is a challenge.  I did not find it helpful yesterday when the doctor said to me, "I want you to lose weight."  I looked at her and tried to be open minded and sound polite as I told her, "I've lost more than 10 percent of my body weight in recent months, I am doing all that is suggested, and the weight is coming off, but slowly - it was much easier when I was younger." At this point I was looking to see if Jillian was going to pop out from behind a curtain and start yelling for me to get going.

I headed to the doctor visit with a positive attitude, feeling great about the work I have accomplished and determined to learn more about making the changes I need to make.   I came home from that doctor visit discouraged. This is not how I want to feel after visiting with a member of my self-care team.  I was exhausted last night- is there a connection?  I woke up tired, fell back to sleep and find that my sugar level is lower today than it has been since I began testing it.  Coincidence? I haven't a clue.

Today's gift:  I have been consistent with taking care of my health, I exercise, I eat right, I don't take Geritol, (sorry I could not resist sharing that flashback from the old 60's television commercial).   I take care of business ventures, I am working on photography, and find great blessings in it all.  I will focus on that and see what next month's A1C test reveals.

No comments: