Oct 29, 2010

Making A Plan


I wish I'd tracked my food more closely this week because I'd like to see if there is a pattern. In several days I had two great morning numbers along with two of the highest BG numbers I've seen since diagnosis.
  
Looking back, I ate most meals at home  and they were solidly low carb, low in fat, and healthy.  Two or three times I had salmon.  Twice when I ate out I had slight indiscretions over dinner rolls with my meal. I don't like the guilt I feel when I eat a roll at dinner, but I do feel guilty.   Last night I nearly wrestled a 3rd little roll out of my friend's hand when she offered to put it aside for me.
  
I could hear my inner rebel cry out in defense, "Did I say it was a small roll? How many carbs could possibly be in that little thing?  I'm having it with protein.  I'm eating spinach with the meal for cryin' out loud."

The near wrestling match was a clear message to me that my behavior about a roll is getting out of hand.  Ironically, this morning the BG number was lower than normal, at 113 I do a happy dance.  I was disappointed I did not have a record of the meals and exercise for past 7 days. 
  
I 'm starting to play head games now.  Starting?  Who am I kidding?  This is a solid pattern I know well.  The orange, red, brown, yellow and black colors signaling Halloween triggered me weeks ago. 

For me autumn is the just the beginning of  a long and colorful season ahead.  I respond to color - to come to the other side of the holiday season with a decent A1C, and to promote healthy living, I need to have a plan. 

It is time for another Diabetes Date.  What is a Diabetes Date? It is a date I make with myself to nurture my soul. I spend a specified segment of time doing something good for my diabetes.

Each day I will take time out of my life to enhance a few moments.  Today, I made up a simple mantra that will ground me each day and center me in times of stress or celebration.  
" I will focus on the things that I enjoy (in the season). It is not about the food."

This will be the mantra I recite for the next several weeks.  Autumn in New England is gorgeous.  For me it triggers a frenzied reaction.  I do not have to respond to the trigger.  I will take time to exercise, I will learn something new about diabetes, I will share what I learn.  I will focus on the things I enjoy in the season.  It is not about the food. "  

No comments: