Dec 11, 2011

I'm No Victim

My blood glucose levels depend on my body's reaction to the insulin my pancreas produces or does not produce, I can't control that.

I can control what I chose to eat. I can control what I put in the cart when I go to the grocery store and where I chose eat when I eat out. I can control when I chose to exercise, what kind of exercise to do and when I choose to sit on the sofa and watch TV instead.

I may be a "victim" of type 2 diabetes, but I am a diabetic who works at controlling the blood glucose levels of sugar in my blood. I pay attention. I educate myself, I follow up with medical checks.

Do I get tired of being careful?  You bet.  Do I wander from the path some times?  Yes.  But, more days than not, more meals than not, I work at healthy living with my diabetes. 

Eating healthy, walking, working out, taking medication are conscious choices -- all go into the mix of self-care.  My BG levels fluctuate.  I am asked to keep the level below 140 mg at the two hour mark (after a meal) and I work hard at it.  If I have a piece of pie or an extra fruit and my number goes up, I take responsibility for my choices and I go for a walk for 20 - 30 additional minutes.  That my friends is how it is done. ♥ 

If I forget this and start to complain about type 2 diabetes, remind me to read my own blog posts! 

No comments: